It's Monday again. But everyone seem to be still in Hari Raya moods. I can't get appointment with peoples that I am suppose to see in the Govenment Department as they are still busy attending the "Open House".
With this idle schedule, I think I will share some of the images of old Brunei Coins that had been circulated before. I do not have much info though, and would love to have some from those people who knows about it.
This is the "Duit Bintang" which probabley got it name from the star emblem on the coin. The coin was believed to be used in Brunei in 1304 AD to 1600 AD.

The next one is the "Duit Pitis", believed to be introduced earlier than the above coins. I can see that the year on the coin is 1285 AD.
Beside the above coins, it is believed, that the Chinese "Duit Kue" was also used in Brunei, especially with the trade with Chinese Merchants.

It's really interesting to see how coins and currency notes had evolved through times. I recalled the old days when my late grandmother used to keep the Japanese "Duit Pisang" which become worthless then. As a Kampong Boy, I do not understand significant of those notes at that time. It had become our plaything and at the end, had destroy some part of the historical fact in our family history. What a sad thing to do........
Pembetulan : Saudara duit syiling 1304 sebenarnya adalah dalam tahun HIJRAH atau dalam bahasa Inggeris 1304AH dan bukan 1304AD. Dikeluarkan pada tahun 1887 dan berusia dalam lingkungan 122 tahun.
ReplyDeleteSila rujuk : http://coincollecting.a-z-series.com/category/coins-section-or-category/brunei/
atau
http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360067444912&indexURL=
Thanks Men. You are right on that....
ReplyDelete